Friday, January 31, 2014

AFC's story goes as far back as Documentary, but Documentary felt safer at the time.

Eh. I don't want to be safe.

It took me a lot of soul-searching to make the decision to cool it with contemporary romance this year. But I am cooling it this year. Point blank, I'm not excited to write it right now. I'm not excited about reading my writing when I write it, right now. I want to clarify that this is personal to ME alone. I wanted to fall in love with my writing again this year. I wanted to read my own story and feel what I was hoping you'd feel, and writing romance just hasn't been doing it for me. Maybe I'm evolving, I don't know.

But there are so many people putting out very beautiful love stories right now (hello, Melody Grace) and I'm sitting here wanting to destroy things LOL (in my stories! in my stories!). So, contemporary romance is just not a place I feel like I can still write and be satisfied right now. I don't want to have to focus on the elements that people come to expect in contemporary romance.

AFC felt like a huge risk because I knew it was going to be a little uncomfortable for some and kinda violent and not exist in a black and white world of morality, and some people don't like that, but I want to write for the people whose Netflix recommendations are based of Sons of Anarchy.

I want to write uncomfortable things. I want to write people who do really bad things. I want to write stories that give me anxiety because something bad is going to happen or I'm unsure of how the characters will get out of something. I want to write things where my heart feels like it's going to jump out of my chest when I go back and re-read it. I want to write people with loose morals or none at all. I want to be horrible to my characters. I don't want to water down bad characters. I don't want likeability of characters to cloud how I want to write them.

Yeah, see? No romance here, which means Abel's story is backburnered (not a word at all LOL) for now. I'm sure some of you may be disappointed but I just can't do it. I don't want to write an uninspired story just because. I'm unmotivated to write it and until I am not, it won't happen.

But I do invite you to jump down the rabbit hole with me. It's going to be soooo fun. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment